Monday, May 17, 2010

Sunday, May 17, 2010

Took the FWD to the first official outing of 2010, to the Lowes in Quakertown for one of their semi-annual summer car shows. I took it there last year, in October I think, can't remember. The show rand from 2 to 6pm, so I spent the morning going over the mechanicals of the truck, which had not been done in a while. Oil, tires, belts, hoses, coolant, the whole nine yards. Then I cut the grass, and then jumped in the shower while the wife ran down to the supermarket (while I was still home with the men.)

I left the house about 12:45, and got there early; was about the 5th or 6th vehicle there. Had the pick of parking spots. Couldn't really find anything in any decent kind of shade, which was ok as it was jusssst on this side of cool; so the sunlight helped. The stiff breeze blowing cooled everything down, and also prevented the application of the tire shine which I usually do prior to every event. So instead I concentrated my efforts on wiping down all the sheet metal with a towel and some Meguires "Armor Plate", a wipe-on liquid wax specially made to occasionally "beef up" the Meguires paste wax which I apply about once every 2 years or so. I did everything except up high, my legs, knees and ankles just were not in the mood to climb after having cut the grass.

I have to say I was not especially impressed with the turnout of this show. There were about 50 to 60 other vehicles in my estimation, and most of the people who were walking around were other car owners. As always, I got the standard questions/comments-

"Do YOU own this or is it fire company owned?"
"Wow you came a long way from Bryn Athyn!"
"Wow you must have a big garage" or "Where do you keep it, you must have a huge garage!"
"What kind of mileage does it get?"
"Does everything still work?"
"It's gas? Really? Not Diesel?"

The crowd started thinning out around 4:30, and by 5 most had started packing up and leaving, so that's when I departed. Not a bad first outing, but not the best either.

No comments:

Post a Comment